Apr 13, 2008

Rest Your Body - special guest post by Yiftach

The teachers at Hadarya's daycare center, the SDSU Children's Center, are responsible for putting dozens of kids down for their naps every day, so they have to have a system. The nap room is darkened, there's calming music, and it's often necessary to help the kids relax by repeating a mantra, bringing them down from their high-energy activity level to where they can fall asleep. The teachers often simply repeat "rest your body" over and over again as they pat the kids' backs or just sit next to their cots. I'm not the kind of person who can repeat a phrase like that without getting creative, so the other night, when I was putting Hadarya to bed, I came up with the following:

The Rest Your Body Song
(to the tune of Oh My Darling, Clementine)

Rest your body, rest your body, rest your body and your head,
Rest your body, rest your body, rest your body in your bed.
Rest your arms and rest your legs and rest your feet and rest your toes,
Rest your hands and rest your fingers, rest your knees and your elbows.

Rest your body, rest your body, rest your body all the way,
Rest your body, rest your body, and tomorrow we will play.

(repeat as necessary)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I thought for sure you'd work something about a moose in there somewhere.

Kimber said...

I have been having a lot of trouble turning off my brain at night and getting to sleep. Do you think you could call me and sing this to me tonight? So adorable!

Mom said...

i CAN'T WAIT UNTIL SHE SINGS THIS PRECIOUS TUNE ALL BY HERSELF.
VERY CREATIVE!!!!
MOM

Kara Braniff Weller said...

Is that Copyrighted? If not, I'm stealing it...so fun!