Jan 5, 2008

Double Blessing

In the midst of our vacation, New Year's, and just catching up with our life, I totally forgot about the miracle I witnessed right before we left!

My dear friend is pregnant with twins, a boy and a girl, and due in early February. She has been on bed rest since Thanksgiving and the hope was to make it to at least the first week in January and mid-January if possible. I put together a small group of friends to keep her company and talk baby talk on December 22nd. We had a fantastic time hanging out with the girls.

It was the night before our trip and we stayed up late packing. We were looking forward to a week away and seeing our friends from San Fransisco.

At 11:45 PM our phone rang and my dear friend's water had broken and they were on the way to the hospital to have their babies!! Having photographed their son's birth 3 1/2 years earlier, they were hoping I'd be willing to do it again.

So, off I went at midnight to the hospital with my camera, hoping to be included in this miracle. It turns out that the anesthesiologist, (who works only 1 night a month), was an old classmate of hers! What a small world. She asked for permission to have me in the OR since the twins were being delivered by cesarean. He got it and I was able to be in the OR with her (squeezing the blood out of my hand!) and take amazing photos.

I saw both her babies being delivered from her womb and have photos that are beautiful of their first moments. There were 13 people in the delivery room to take care of her and the babies. They were so great about moving out of the way to let me get photos of the babies and the cords being cut.

Tomorrow is the bris and simcha bat. We are so very excited to be included and celebrate these miracles of life with them. I am thrilled to have witnessed all the births of her children and be a part of their lives from the beginning.

Hadarya met them today and giggled at them, touched their tiny feet, and then walked off to play games.

Welcome to the world Micah and Eliora!

No comments: