Nov 19, 2007

Day 19 - Did You Know?

I spent the day in a class size reduction staff development today. All teachers who have 20 students are required to have a one of the three conference days taken back by the district for a mandated staff development.

Today, 300 K-3 teachers gathered to hear a speaker discuss and lead us in discussion about a Pyramid of Interventions meant to help students before things reach a crisis situation. It is meant to help our Professional Learning Communities continue on their paths to collaboration and achievement in learning for all students.

Part of the presentation was a short video called Did You Know? It was developed a year ago for a staff to start the conversation about whether or not they were preparing their students for the 21st century. It has now created 5 million conversations. This is one of them. Click on various versions on the home page to download the video.

It is powerful and thoughtful and insightful. It has made me think about what kind of world (one I cannot imagine!) will be there for my daughter in 20 years. It has made me realize that she is going to have a whole new world for herself that I will learn through her. It is my responsibility to provide her with the opportunities and experiences to be able to actively participate in this world that will be open to her.

No comments: