Oct 18, 2006

Getting Ready for our Daughter to Come Home

At 11 PM last night we spent some time trying to figure out the car seat. Not how to put it in the car (that comes this morning) but how to put the canopy together. It was a funny scene in our household since I locked the two pieces together BEFORE putting them throught the little space because I wanted to see how they worked. Well they work well, becuase we spent several minutes prodding, pushing, pulling, and many other things to get them apart to put them in the right place to work. All this so she can have a shade canopy! The laughter over the silly mechanism and our inability to figure it out relieved the tension over our life changing.

Today is the day I really become a parent. Today is the day I take full responsibility , 24 hours a day, for another human being. That is humbling and scary. I've wanted this day to come for so long yet these last 10 days have been very surreal that I am not so sure that they are happening for real.

I have spent the last 10 days in a blur and a state of extreme emotions. I think I had my last full night of sleep and I am sitting her quietly contemplating the turn of events. It is so hard to anticipate what is going to happen and how things will be.

Today is the 18th of October, a Wednesday. Eighteen is the number represented by the letters in Hebrew for the word that means life. It is an appropriate day to bring our daughter home.

10 days ago her birth mom did a courageous thing hat we were able to participate in... she gave this baby life. She physically gave birth and emotionally was able to give her a chance at life.

A life that we now get to mold, shape, be responsible for, hold, protect, and most of all, LOVE.

1 comment:

Samantha said...

Beautifully said. And, though I'm no expert, I would stake a claim that you and Yiftach are *definitely* up to the job. ;)

Hugs,
Sam