Oct 25, 2006

Surviving My First Week as a MOM

One week ago today about this time my beautiful daughter left the hospital and arrived into our home. For all the experience I have with children and my high comfort level of being with infants, nothing prepared me for the feelings that transpired the first night with my own baby in my own house.

The first night was scary, sleepless, frightening, nerve wracking, and full of new sounds and noises. We got very little sleep as we realized that there was a real live baby sleeping in a bassinet at the end of our bed. We wondered what all the sounds were and would we hear her cry? We didn't know exactly what her cries would sound like nor what they might mean since we'd fed her on a schedule at the hospital and didn't really hear the crying needs of our daughter.

We SURVIVED the first night and each day/night has gotten easier. We have begun to create a pattern for our nights and take turns getting up when our daughter needs us; which is only twice if we go to bed around 10:30. But I still find it hard to get things done...life is changing rapidly and I have to figure out how to let certain things go and work to accomplish other things. Tomorrow is my first day not working since our daughter came home and I am looking forward to figuring out our day and seeing what happens.

1 comment:

Samantha said...

It's humbling, isn't it, to realize our time isn't our own anymore, and we have to practice acceptance each day of the winds of change that blow through--sometimes every five minutes. ;)

Just when we think we've learned something about our child, all the rules change! It's like the X-treme version of human experience. ;)