Aug 7, 2007

Afternoons Riding in My Car

I don't usually post anything negative or rarely things that make me frustrated. I work through them. I call someone. I cry. BUT this one has been enough! My lovely, beautiful, darling daughter no longer will take an afternoon nap in her crib.

It has been about 4 days now and she will zonk out in the car wherever we are right on schedule; between 2 and 2:30. WOO HOO! I am golden for at least an hour but probably 1 1/2 or 2 to hang out, cook dinner, do laundry or scrapbook. NOT in any way, shape or form.

Last week, my tired baby girl woke up after the transfer to her crib. I knew she was still very tired, so after about 10 minutes of letting her try to go back to sleep ( in which she just played in her crib with her toys) I put her back in the car seat. It took a ride on the 125 South to 8 West just before the College Exit, and she was out. SO, I followed my advice that I had given to Sam when Jarrah arrived and drove to a shady spot under a tree in a park. There I sat with the A/C going and talked to my sister, whom I had picked up on the way. We left an hour later with a still sleeping baby who stayed asleep for 30 more minutes in the carseat at home.

Just a fluke, I thought. An off day. Something different being with Ima all day. Then it happened on Friday. And Monday. And Tuesday. By today I had had enough. She was zonked out and tired (not cranky or whiny at all) but I needed her to sleep so I could have a break too!

After sleeping in the car on the way home from the Wild Animal Park, she was wide-eyed. She then fell back asleep on the short ride home from frozen yogurt, only to awake when we pulled into the garage. So, I rocked her and held her and she was closed eyes and all. BUT put her in the crib and she is wide awake! She played for 40 minutes and then I had had it. I put her in the car at 3:30 PM and within 4 minutes she was fast asleep. She slept for an hour, through a trip to Babies R Us to buy a Snug Glider, and back home again.

I am hoping that the cool Snug Glider will do the trick and her afternoon naps will be in the car seat from now on. It is a frame to snap on the car seat and it moves like a swing with vibration. I hope it feels like the car. It certainly will be cheaper than the gasoline I use and give me more freedom to do something other than sit in my new car... which isn't so bad either.