Nov 11, 2007

Day 11 - Just as Powerful Year #5

4,500 walkers. 600 crew. Hundreds of volunteers. San Jose Police on bikes. Safety crew on motorcycles. Strangers 3 days ago - united by a common cause.

Today was my 5th closing ceremony for the Breast Cancer 3 Day. We left the baby at home (hard decision but the right one!) and although I debated about whether or not I should actually attend right up until the last moment, I am so glad I went.

Cheering on the walkers as they entered Petco Park was a never ending line of beautiful women and men who had spent 3 days walking 60 miles, raised $2200 each, and traveled away from families to sleep in a tent for 3 days.

The walk to the closing ceremonies was lined with thousands of people cheering on the crew and the walkers. We lined the area and cheered the walkers into the outer ring. Then the crew moved into our circle and we all raised our shoes to the inner circle of survivors.

I have heard the same or similar words for 5 years. I never get tired of the same silly jokes about porta-potties. I never get tired of hearing about the kindness that we deal with for 3 days. I never get tired of being reminded that no one is going to cheer for me when I get to work. The tears still well up and I remember how lucky I am to be here; to be alive; to be able to participate.

Our mission is not complete. Breast cancer is not eradicated. We have to keep walking until a cure is found. Getting ready for year #6...2008.

No comments: